Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Book, continued...

I have been continuing to experiment with different layouts for my "Trout Dreams" book and have come up with one for the diptychs and Holgaramas that I think will work.


I think this layout works a lot better than the previous layout I posted where I had a square photograph paired with a wide format diptych.   I am going to hold on to this layout for a while and see how I feel about it after I do more with the book.

My other layout challenge continues to elude me, which is by far the most important element of the book which is of course the cover.  In keeping with my camera choice I want to keep things simple, but I know I need to make somewhat of a visual impact at the same time. Since my original post the other other day I have come up with two more cover layouts.


I am thinking that this one is a bit too much like the inside of the book, so I don't think I'll go with this layout.

I think this one is a little better, but I am still not sure.

I was talking with a friend recently about this book, and over the course of the conversation she kept asking me, "Why?" Why do you want to do a book like this?". And I have given it more thought, and I want to do a book like this as continuation, or maybe a preliminary event to the exhibit I want of this body of work.  After all, exhibits are only up and seen for a few short weeks or so, but a book lives on and on..

I'd love to hear any thoughts, comments and suggestions, I have never done anything like this before.

Thanks,
Brian

2 comments:

cofisher said...

I like the large picture on the cover. My only suggestion is don't overthink things. People who like your work will like it regardless.

Anonymous said...

Brian, I am going to agree with Howard on this point. I prefer the larger picture. It grabs my attention more than the smaller one. I am excited to see how this project plays out.