Saturday, August 4, 2012

Tenkara Summit 2012 - Part I

It's difficult trying to photograph and event an participate in it at the same time, which was the  challenge I had recently at the 2012 Tenkara Summit, that was in my home town, Salt Lake City, Utah.  Despite this challenge, I think I  I managed to do both fairly well at the summit. I found the conference to be successful and I hope that the organizers did as well. Aside from photographing it, I wanted to go attend to learn more about tenkra fishing and to meet other like minded anglers, many of whom I had only know through other blogs and Facebook.

The summit was a two day event held in Salt Lake City on the first day and on the Provo River the second day.  The first day consisted of a few lectures on the history of tenkra fishing in Japan and other things as well as casting, fly tying and other related fly fishing demonstrations.


The summit's keynote speaker, Dr. Hisao Ishigaki, came all the from Japan, he is widely regarded in Japan and abroad as tenkra fishing master. I really wish I could speak Japanese so I speak with him, because he is incredibly passionate about fishing.

One of my blogging and Face Book friends that I was anxious to meet was Anthony Naples, who did the amazing poster for the summit.
After the formal events ended for the day, I did a little fishing in a very urban location in Salt Lake City, with another Face Book and blogging friend, Karel from "Tenkara on the Fly".  I had a a photograph of our fishing, but it didn't turn out. Sorry Karel! I guess you'll have to come back to Utah for that opportunity or I guess I can visit you.  I also met Ashley and Brian from Learn Tenkra dot com, it was great to meet them and learn how much of a fan of my photography they are. Thanks you two and thanks for the video!
I will end this chapter of the 2012 Tenkara Summit with portrait I did of another of my Face Book blogging friends that I wanted to meet at the summit, the "Troutrageous" "Tenkara Sasquatch" Mike.


Now on to day two for some fishing photographs!

5 comments:

cofisher said...

Looks like a good time for an up and coming Tenkara fisherman.

Michael Agneta said...

It was a great event, and a ton of fun meeting and talking to you. Amazing to view it through the lens of your Holgas!

Brian L. Schiele said...

It sure was Howard, and hopefully Emily will get into it more now too. Thanks T! The sentiment is mutual!

michelle F said...

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us all. Tj

Casting Around said...

Brian - great to finally meet! What a great time it was meeting you and all of the other tenkara anglers. Those pics are wonderful (except for that guy standing by the poster).
-Anthony Naples